Wednesday, September 06, 2006

If your desires...

"If your desires are not extravagant they will be granted".
That is Orkut's prediction for me today. Read the rest to understand the irony.

Just came back from school. And currently in the To be or not to be kind of situation (append on vacation). My classes began on the 23rd of August. Most profs are so boring, they give assignments the second day. Mostly, you are given a week's time to complete them. Incidently or fortunately, I have only one course where typical assignments can be given. The others are courses that have paper presentations every other week or something like that. And there is swimming of course, which is more of a refreshment than anything.

Classes for the course which is assignment-capable are held on Mondays and Wednesdays. Last wednesday was the second wednesday since school opened and I had my fingers crossed all through the class, murmuring, "Ab to assignment milega hee" (this class, we WILL get an assignment for sure). But guess what? The prof gave us the most pleasant surprise. So there I was- a long weekend without a homework to do. Can you believe it? How relaxing can that be? If I were a teacher ever, I would always do that. Give loads of homeworks during the week and nothing for the weekend. I have had professors in the past, who have been mean enough to hold mid terms exactly the day after the fall or the spring break. What's wrong with them? Why not hold them before the break or at least 3-4 days after the break. They think we would love to study during those breaks? I think idleness is underrated. The more you would enjoy your weekends and breaks, the more fun you would have studying and the harder you would work. Isnt that a simple concept to understand and implement!

Today, that professor finally gave us our first assignment. :-( I know I should not crib. He gave us a happy long weekend. But you know, I was quietly hoping inside and wondering if a miracle would happen. All through the lecture, while he was scribbling semiconductor equations on the board trying to catch one pair of eyes which had the attention he was seeking, I was constantly dreaming about my coming weekend. How wonderful it would be if there would again be no assignment, and I could coolly go off to NY and spend the weekend there with Inder. And then I was calculating. The prof had said he would give us like 7-8 homeworks for the semester. So if he starts on coming Monday, it still gives a lot of rope for all the assignments before the semester ends. So, the possibility does not seem too less. However, in the middle of the class, the prof reshuffled his folder of notes and separated a bundle of stapled papers from it. That made the rest of the lecture a nightmare. My eyes could see that they were nothing but copies of assignment problems stacked one above another, but my mind was still wandering in the land of possibilities. "Extravagant desires" as stupid Orkut would say! A little too much to ask eh?

Now, I sit like a muddle head wondering whether I can still go to NYC as well as do my homework there - that would be a win win situation according to the clans of Steven Covey. But am I there yet?