Saturday, June 09, 2007

Nostalgia as sisters

I was just thinking how simple life used to be when we were kids. Fun had a completely different definition all together! My sister is four years elder to me but I never really felt much age difference and would almost treat her as my equal ;-). There were times when she was bossy and protective though but mostly she was very friendly and fun. The age gap almost disappeared by the time I became a teenager.

Back then we used to play a lot of stupid and funny games. Like, standing in the balcony, watching vehicles on the road and then guessing which one would come next. So if I guessed a bike and a bike appeared I won the game. When I was younger I used to look up to her and would always be completely mesmerized with the forever new games or puzzles she would get home. One such puzzle game was to ask the other person, "What ka matlab kya hota hai?" '(What is the meaning of what?' :)). Silly games like that. At that time I did think of it as a very intelligent game :-). These and many other such fun puzzles and stories would increase my reverence for her by multitudes. I would then replay those with my friends and classmates and bask in the glory.

She would come home from school a an hour or two later than me. Often, she would get candies along. That would be really exciting. Also, sometimes she would be generous in telling me incidents from her day in school. I always found them very fascinating -imagining what life was like when you were a senior.

I also remember my birthdays in school. A birthday used to be a really big day. I would always want it to fall on a school day. We were supposed to carry sweets to class and not be dressed in uniform. Eventually everyone would sing for the birthday kid and then he or she would distribute the sweets in class. In my case, after the celebration in my classroom, I would always go to my sis's class. And then with the usual "Please may I come in ma'am" and the obvious awareness of being the priviledged kid of the day with all eyes on you, I would walk up to her desk and give her the sweets with a sheepish grin on my face.

It just feels so hilarious when I look back at those times now. But I do miss all that simplicity and innocence.