Saturday, June 17, 2006

Friday suspense

Today afternoon we had an interesting experience. While I was sitting cozily on the couch close to the dining area, trying some simulations for my research, and my roommate J concentrating hard on her office laptop, we heard a subtle knock on the door. We generally do not have a lot of visitors at our place. Any friends who visit, call beforehand. Moreover, it was like 1pm in the day. Most likely some Amazon delivery I thought. After a quick glance at me (who had a lazy expectant look on her face so someone else could do the honors), J walked up to the door. I saw some two guys entering into the living room. From where I sat, I could only see the entrance door, but a part of the living room was hidden due to the kitchen wall. For a moment I felt reluctant to walk up and join them. But then for decency sake, I just put my laptop aside and walked up to the sitting area.

After doing the greetings stuff I made a quick scan of them. They both were formally dressed and half-smilingly half-seriously discussing something with J. Also, they did not sit. They were standing. It was only when I made out the shape of a holster stuck neatly at the waist belt of one of the men, I realized what kind of a matter it was! They were the police! What was police doing in our apartment? What were they talking so seriously? Of course, all this happened in a split of a second. And only then I started paying attention to the conversation.

Police man (P): "... building ....building.... board".
J: " ...."
I thought I rather get involved in the discussion.
Me: "Is there a problem?"
P: "Ma'am we have been reported that you have rice boards at your place with maps of buildings drawn over them."
Me: "Maps? buildings? What's a rice board?" I managed with some nervousness and some confusion. Actually he meant Frieze board, but in my somewhat shaky state of mind I din't quite catch him.
P: "I mean any whiteboards you have, we have been reported that there is something suspicious. As in there are maps of buildings drawn on those boards. Do you mind if we have a look?"

We agreed instantly. Anything to clear off the doubts! We had only two of them, one in the living room on which J had scribbled some to-dos around buying stuff etc. So with one small glance they looked eager to see the next one. We took them to the next which was in my bedroom. After a glance at that (which definitely had some lines drawn across horizontally and vertically with some semi circles etc here and there and arrows), one of them smiled and said, "Electronics stuff? energy band diagrams?" I nodded hard like Noddy. The whiteboard had the heading "Flash memory", it was dated 08/27/yy (never used since then eh .. what does it say of my planning/organizing rather execution capabilities?) and it had the semiconductor energy band structures and some electronic transitions marked with arrows. J smiled and added "She is studying electronics at NC State". Thankfully, they smiled and nodded along too. Then they apologized for the inconvenience caused and mentioned that they appreciated the cooperation and left.

Woah! what was that? I mean, I was a little shaken by that experience. Not from the point of view that I felt bad or humiliated. They were doing the right thing. Making sure the community (and country) was safe. Only that after this incidence, I actually realized how grave was the sense of insecurity among people post 9-11. I would not imagine a thing like a simple whiteboard with some scratched lines catching such attention. One incidence, years ago could have that impact. I have heard of various stories on TV, even from my acquaintences and friends having similar experiences. But it hits you more when it happens to you. It's a mystery though how someone actually saw that board in my bedroom, because my bedroom window is always closed. If it's open we are inside so no one can peep in. Maybe some maintenance guys who came in for pest sprays. Whatever ... But I really hope all terrorism of the world comes to an end, soon!

So much for building maps and investigations...

Just for the fun of it though, I am including the picture of my accused (but proven innocent) whiteboard, here. Please cheer it! (ps: On second thoughts, does it look like a building map from any angle or are some people really dumb?)