Monday, November 21, 2005

The Postman's view

This is some time ago, when my sister and I were visiting my cousin M in Delhi. She and her hubby had recently shifted to a new apartment in Vasant Kunj. The place was new to us and we were having a hard time locating her home. Soon we at least found the apartments complex but were still struggling for 1029-A. Amidst our confusing arguments of locating it we heard the sound of a bicycle. As we turned around, we saw it was a postman carrying a load of envelopes and parcels and postage. For me, he was God sent. Without wasting a moment, I hurriedly walked up to him and asked, "Bhaiya, aapko yeh number maaloom hai kya?" (Do you know where this apartment is?) He stared at it for a moment and then after searching hastily through his postage, came up with an envelope with "Mamta Aswal, 1029-A, Sector C, Pkt D, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi-110070" written on it. "Is this the person?", he asked, and I nodded excitedly. Almost there I thought. Then he handed that envelope to me and said, "Ghar mil jaaye to yeh chitthi bhi de dena" (If you do find the apartment, hand over this to them as well).

(ps: We did find the apartment finally after realizing that all the apartments with odd noes were in one area and ones with even noes in another)